A question as old as time! As Sutherland Shire roofing experts, we are constantly getting asked the question, “Is it possible to restore my roof in its current condition or should it be replaced?”
We all know that a home’s roof is key to the structural integrity of the entire house! A quality roof provides a lot more than just shelter for you and your family. It also provides insulation and design flair. This can increase the value of your property and therefore you should always make roof maintenance a priority for your home.
Are you thinking about upgrading your roof? Well you can read more about the different roofing services we offer across Sydney and the Sutherland Shire here >
What is the difference between roof restoration and roof replacement?
Simply put, a roof restoration is a repair of your existing roof. It normally involves a roof inspection, a thorough cleaning of the existing tiles and minor repairs to shingles and gables. Once the roof has been cleaned the tiles are repainted to make them look good as new and complete the roof restoration. At Hyspec Constructions and Roofing we recommend that this is performed regularly to ensure that a roof is well maintained.
On the other hand, a roof replacement is a total overhaul of the existing roof. This process is generally speaking more expensive due to labour costs. If you select a roof replacement (also called a new roof), everything will be replaced from sarking and battens to tiles, ridges and pointing. In layman’s terms, this means that you will have an entirely new roof. This allows you to expand your roof, recreate its design, and introduce new elements like insulation to completely change the look and feel of the structure.
When should you opt for a Roof Restoration?
- Firstly, if your roof is structurally sound. A roof restoration focuses on restoring a roof to its former glory. The underlying structure needs to be in good condition to ensure that it continues to remain in quality condition over the years and that the restoration isn’t just covering up more serious issues.
- Secondly, if you have your roof regularly maintained. If you roof is regularly maintained then it is a fair assumption that it will be in good condition and that it might just need a restoration to make it look as good as on the day that it was installed.
- Thirdly, if your roof is relatively new. This one is a bit of a no brainer, but if it has only been a few years since you’ve built your home or had a new roof installed then it might be best to just restore it with a good clean and repaint.
- Finally, we recommend doing so before selling your house. This can add substantial value to the sale of your property. A clean, repainted roof is visually appealing and therefore we recommend a roof restoration before selling your property to increase its value before auction.
When should you choose a Roof Replacement?
- Firstly, if the roof is suffering from structural damage. If your home is suffering from structural issues such as broken foundations and water damage, this might mean reoccurring problems and high cost of maintenance over time. To save money in the long run we’d recommend a roof replacement.
- Secondly, if you’d like to replace older roofing materials. If you’d like to upgrade the style of your roof with new roofing materials, say for example changing from tiles to metal sheets, then a roof replacement might be your best option.
- Finally, if you are looking for a long term solution. If you want to increase the integrity and appeal of your property in the long run then a roof replacement can improve its life expectancy, durability and investment value.
At Hyspec Constructions & Roofing, we are professional roofers who take every measure to ensure your 100% satisfied with your roof restoration or roof replacement. We work all over Sydney and the Sutherland Shire and know that every family has a different wants and needs. We will always give you the best advise based on your personal circumstances and always look for ways that can help you save. Through experience we’ve found that the clients who choose to increase the value of their home within a manageable budget are far happier and comfortable with the their choice!
Based in the Sutherland Shire, we are professional builders that promise to give you the best advice and guidance possible! Contact us now for a chat and get your project underway today!
- Posted by Hyspec Constructions and Roofing
- On August 12, 2019