As the RBA lowers cash rates to a record 1%, now is the time to think about adding that second storey you’ve always dreamt of!
If you’re seriously considering a home extension with a second storey addition, there are some tricks of the trade that we are going to share with you to help you get the most bang for your buck.
As professional Sutherland Shire builders, our friends always ask us, “What are the most cost-effective ways to achieve the additional space we require, while managing to stay within our budget?”
This is quite a good question and there are a few simple steps that we’ve told our friends in the past and will now share with you on how you can save on your build.
1. Roofing – Is your existing roof tiled? If you are thinking about to building a second storey extension why not consider reusing and recycling the existing roof tiles for your addition instead of installing all new roof tiles! This can seriously help you to seriously reduce the cost of purchasing new roofing materials. At Hyspec, we are roofing gurus! If you want to learn more about what roofing services we offer in the Sutherland Shire and Sydney areas then click here.
2. Cladding – Another great way to save is to opt for the external cladding of your home to be weatherboard cladding. Weatherboard cladding will help save you on material and labour costs and is cheaper than brick and rendering options.
3. Guest Ensuite – Do you really need an ensuite for the guest bedroom? The cost of adding an additional bathroom can be quite extensive. By removing this room from your home extension plans you can significant save costs on tiling, electrical, plumbing and fit out costs.
4. Kitchen Renovation – If you are planning to renovate your kitchen and also wanting to add a second storey you may need to consider what is the most important for your family or investment.
5. Bathroom – Lets be honest, having an upstairs bathroom is great. But, if you are looking to do your second storey home extension on a budget, you may have to rethink it. The cost of tiles and other bathroom materials as we discussed above can be extremely costly and blow out the cost of your second story build.
6. Internal doors – You wouldn’t think that doors could be so expensive but they are! To save on your home extension we recommend using Hollowcore doors as the cost-effective option. You can always upgrade to solid doors later.
7. Internal Painting – Grab a brush and spend the weekend painting it yourself! Watch some youtube tutorials and spend the weekend doing the painting work yourself. This will save a large amount on labour and help to reduce your overall build cost.
At Hyspec Constructions & Roofing, we know that making the decision to add to or extend on your home it is about balance. You’ve got to keep your needs and wants aligned whilst staying within the budget you have available. As we work all over Sydney we know that every family has a different wants and needs. We understand that it is a challenge to stay within budget while getting what you want and always do our best to make your dream home extension a reality. We will always give you the best advise based on your personal circumstances and always look for ways that can help you save. Through experience we’ve found that the clients who choose to increase the value of their home within a manageable budget are far happier and comfortable with the their choice!
Based in the Sutherland Shire, we are professional builders that promise to give you the best advice and guidance possible! Contact us now for a chat and get your project underway today!
- Posted by Hyspec Constructions
- On July 5, 2019